DTiNews
  1. VIETNAM TODAY

Nearly 1,400 people isolated in Nghe An after flood sweeps away bridge

Floodwaters swept away a bridge serving two villages in Nghe An Province, cutting off more than 300 households and nearly 1,400 residents.

Heavy rain has swept away a temporary bridge leading to Yen Thang and Coc Tat villages in Yen Hoa Commune, Nghe An Province, leaving more than 300 households and nearly 1,400 people isolated.

Nearly 1,400 people isolated in Nghe An after flood sweeps away bridge - 1

The temporary bridge to Yen Thang and Coc Tat villages in Yen Hoa Commune was swept away by floodwaters (Photo: Vi Khiem).

Tran Thi Sen, head of the economic division of Yen Hoa Commune, told Dantri on the afternoon of August 20 that prolonged heavy rain overnight on August 19 and into the morning had caused water levels to rise rapidly as floodwaters flowed down from upstream areas.

The flooding destroyed the temporary bridge on the main road leading to the two villages, completely cutting off their primary transport route. Residents are now facing major difficulties travelling and transporting food, supplies and other essential goods.

According to Sen, the temporary bridge had been built to provide access to the villages after the previous structure was damaged by floods.

“The temporary bridge had only just been built to allow residents to travel, and its construction costs had not even been fully paid. Now it has been swept away by the flood. We are deeply concerned because we do not know when access can be restored,” Sen said.

The bridge was destroyed just as schools prepare to begin the 2026-27 academic year, adding to difficulties for residents and creating particular challenges for teachers and pupils preparing to return to school.

The two isolated villages are home to two nursery school sites and a semi-boarding primary school, which has 295 pupils. With the road cut off, travelling to school and transporting equipment, textbooks and other supplies needed for the new academic year have become increasingly difficult.

Following the incident, Yen Hoa Commune authorities sent officials and local emergency personnel to inspect the site. Management teams in both villages were instructed to notify residents and warn them against attempting to cross areas with strong currents.

Authorities have also deployed personnel to monitor water levels and areas at risk of landslides or deep flooding, while reviewing the situation of households in vulnerable locations so that residents can be evacuated if necessary.

The local administration is also assessing the need for food, medicine and other essential supplies in the two villages. If the isolation continues, the commune will coordinate with relevant forces to arrange deliveries, prioritising elderly people, children, the sick and families facing hardship.

Once floodwaters recede, Yen Hoa Commune will assess the damage and study options for establishing a safe temporary access route. It will also report to higher authorities and request support to restore the bridge and reconnect the villages for residents and pupils.

More news
Loading...