DTiNews
  1. VIETNAM TODAY

  2. Society

Dak Lak police call for people to hand in weapons

Police in the Central Highlands province of Dak Lak are calling on local people to hand in weapons and explosives following the recent terrorist attacks in the area.

Police in the Central Highlands province of Dak Lak are calling on local people to hand in weapons and explosives following the recent terrorist attacks in the area.

Dak Lak police call for people to hand in weapons - 1


Police in Dak Lak Province pilot the exchange of weapons, explosives, and hunting equipment for rice in Cham Village, Ea Sol Commune.

Head of the Ea H'leo District Police Department, Nguyen Cong Hoa, said on July 7 that they had just piloted the exchange of weapons, explosives, and hunting equipment for rice in Cham Village, Ea Sol Commune.

The official shares that many residents in Ea Sol and other communes in Ea H'leo District are still making weapons and equipment for their hunting activities in local forests.

"Those weapons pose dangers for other people in the communities and threaten public order and security," Hoa said. "So we decided to pilot the Weapons for Rice Exchange Programme to persuade local people to stop using dangerous items."

Hoa said that the pilot programme had received support from local people who had handed 70 guns and many kinds of bombs, mines, and other explosives in just one day.

Police have given 100 packs including rice and instant noodles to those who handed in those weapons and some difficult cases in the commune.

The official said that they would introduce the programme to other areas in the district.

Dak Lak police call for people to hand in weapons - 2


Dak Lak police have so far received over 300 guns of different kinds and many kinds of dangerous explosives.

"Many people have realised the danger of keeping those weapons and are willing to give them to local authorities," he said. "We've so far received over 300 guns of different kinds and many kinds of dangerous explosives."

On early June 11, two armed groups attacked the headquarters of the People's Committees of Ea Tieu and Ea Ktur communes, including communal police offices, in Cu Kuin District, killing nine and injuring two.

On June 23, the investigation agency of Dak Lak police issued decisions on launching legal proceedings against and temporary detention of 75 suspects on the charge of "terrorism aimed at opposing the people's administration". It also initiated legal proceedings against seven for "not reporting criminals", one for "concealing criminals", and another for "organising or brokering the illegal exit, entry or stay in Vietnam."

On June 28, local police put five suspects on the special wanted list.

Authorities are continuing their investigation into the incident with a view to stringently dealing with those found guilty in line with Vietnamese law, the Ministry of Public Security have said.

Source: dtinews.vn, TTXVN
More news
Loading...